Client: Town of Parachute Recreation Department
Location: Battlement Mesa, Colorado
Project Status: In Progress
Located in the heart of Battlement Mesa, this seven acre park will be the first purpose built Community Park for this development of 5,000 people. Besides providing residents with a place to relax, exercise, and gather, the larger vision for the park is to establish recreation experience unparalleled in the region.
The Battlement Mesa Company teamed with the Town of Parachute to enlist the professional services of Connect One Design to create a program, vision and master plan for the park. The process involved numerous Committees, Master Board and community wide design meetings and presentations.
The concept design of the park is evocative of the dramatic surroundings, suggesting landforms at the north end of the park reminiscent of the geologic bluffs that formed the mesa and housing a bouldering wall. Situated at the foot of the wall is the ‘Old West’ play area which has covered wagons, a town main street, old railroad monkey bars and the thief’s hideout. The park’s landform then cascades down into shallowly sloped plains that house a fitness circuit and mountain bike course. Finally an alluvial fan-like area that will showcase a small botanical garden serves as the entrance from the adjacent parking area.
Having recently produced a bid document and a thorough cost estimate, Connect One Design helped the Committee write a GOCO grant and identify other funding sources.
· Design Anchored in Regional Environment
· “Old West” Play Area
· “Colorado Water Use” Themed Spray Park
· Covered BBQ/Gathering Areas
· Paths and Trails
· Fitness Circuit
· Mountain Bike Skills Course
· Multiple Rest Rooms
· Performance/Large Gathering Space
· Xeric Demonstration Garden
· Re-Vegetation with Native Species
· On-site Storm Water Management
· Porous Paving Applications
· Coordination with the Town of Parachute and the Common Grounds Park Committee
· Master Planning Through 20% DD
· Cost Estimating
· Multiple Public Presentations
· Assistance in Securing Grants and Other Monetary or Labor Donations